Thursday, November 5, 2009

Saying Goodbye

Yesterday we visited Musa Zajmi school for the last time. It was bittersweet.

Three things I loved about going to schools:

1. Being at a school-- whether a "cavernous building that smells like old textbooks and dust" or a modern, well-lit, and perfectly laid out edifice-- puts me right in my element. I fell alive and energized. I can relate to what goes on there and feel at home.

2. Seeing kids learn and teachers teach is inspirational. The common endeavor that everybody at the school engages in, to expand minds and make the world a better place, is something I love to watch at work.

3. Being around kids is rejuvenating. They have so much enthusiasm, optimism, and positive energy. I get a kick out of it and think that I absorb some of it.

If I could add a fourth reason, it might be any other Soldier's number 1: we feel like rock stars there. Kids mob us and want to talk to us or get a picture. Some of the girls nearly faint when a male Soldier shakes their hand or pats them on the head.

I gave the teacher and another student a set of patches with my nametape, Army tape, and flag. I got some drawings from the student and a traditional rug from the teacher.

It is an experience I will treasure, and hope to see them all again one day, with you by my side.

1 comment:

  1. Awww...I know how much you love teaching and hope that'll I can always support you in this endeavor.

    For one, Joseph says momma is your #1 fan, Rock Star! :)

    ReplyDelete