Thursday, November 12, 2009

Leaving Eve

I am sitting in my bare room. The desk has been relocated, the curtains taken down. Two of my roommates have vacated with their belongings, and the empty bunks and wall lockers echo the strangeness that I feel during my last few hours at Camp Bondsteel.

The white walls stare blankly at me, and my hollow wardrobe bids me a lonely farewell. Hangers, from which once uniforms proudly dangled, remind me of the simplicity of it all. It's just another day with a deployed Army, yet so significant and momentous for me as a person.

I will see you within mere days, and my year away will quickly faded to a distant memory. But my time here will always be an important part of our shared lives. You did so much growing up while I was absent, and I look forward to making that time up to you.

I can't sleep, but it doesn't matter. I have plenty to think about, and the oddity of my feelings at the moment notwithstanding, it's all good stuff.

See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment