Sunday, October 5, 2014

What We Should Do While We're Apart

Do you think Heavenly Father wanted me to come to Afghanistan? 

That's the question I thought about at church today. Someone bore his testimony and said that it was really hard ot be away from his family, but that he knew God had a purpose for him here.

What is my purpose? Why did God want me here? I think he did. I can say that because your mom and I prayed about it, and when your mom prays about something, she almost always knows exactly what to do. And if God didn't want me to come to Afghanistan, then I could have found a way to get out of coming. 

Also, we have faith that Heavenly Father is looking out for us. I don't even think that He would have allowed me to come here unless He had a plan for our family. So just like the man in church who said it was hard, I think God has a purpose for me, and for you two, and for mom, and for our whole family.

So what is it? 

Have you prayed to ask God what your purpose is? What does He want you to accomplish while I am away? 

Sometimes life is really hard. Being apart for so long is one of the things that make it hard. There are times when I think of you and I cry. I carry around a photo of my two boys and when I look at it, then think about how much you are growing up, it makes me so happy and so sad at the same time. Then I cry. I am happy because I know that you are wonderful, sweet, smart, funny, handsome boys. And I am happy because I know that we will have so much fun when I get home. But I am also sad because I can't hug and wrestle and kiss you right now. 

I read a book about a man that was away from his family for a long time, and he had to live in a really terrible place. He said:

Forces beyond your control can take away everything you possess except one thing-- your freedom to choose how you respond to the situation.

That means that during these tough times, we need to learn how to stay happy and positive. How to love each other even though we don't see each other. I often think of all the good things that I have out here. Some people have a lot tougher time than you or I, yet it will always be hard for me to be away from you. Even still, it is an opportunity to grow and to find ways to make the most of life. 

I'm still not sure what Heavenly Father's purpose for me is, but I think it might include figuring out how to be a good dad and a good husband. I think He wants you two to learn how to be the best boys and the best sons you can be. 


And I am sure that you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment