Thursday, September 18, 2014

Packing up for a Big Move

Moving again, but this time it's a good move, because it's a big step toward home.

Three of us from my team are going to a different base. It's still in Afghanistan, but once we get there, we'll only have a few weeks before we have to move one last time-- back to the United States!

Packing is still kind of difficult, though. When you move around with the Army, you have to carry your own bags, so it's really important to fit everything into just a few.


Here's what I've done:

I filled a bag with stuff I won't use in Afghanistan. It's on it's way to you. There is some stuff in it that I will give you when I get home, maybe as a Christmas present.

A second bag contains stuff I need to turn in at Fort Dix in New Jersey. That will go there in a giant box that gets loaded onto a giant airplane. The bag mostly has extra uniforms.

Then I have three bags to take to the new base. This is the hard part. I need to figure out what I might need there, and also what I will need for the trip back to the United States: a sleeping bag, plenty of clothes... but not too much stuff, because remember, I have to carry it all! How much shampoo will I need?

Winter boots are in, the summer ones are going home. I can live with hot feet for a few weeks now, but I can't live with cold feet later. So I'm trading. Washed the dust off the other ones to send home.

I'll have a lot of unpacking to do when I get home, but I'm almost done with the putting stuff away part now. Wish me safe travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment